Needle Felted Avocado Tutorial
Learn how to make needle felted avocados! Perfect for anyone who loves crafting or would like to try needle felting for the first time and an ideal way to use up left over wool from other crafty projects.
Method: The perfect wind-down from screens or stress
Time: Beginners - make one avocado in under an hour
Ingredients for the Avocados
- Bright Green Wool (Spring Wool Bundle)
- Olive-Green Wool (Woodland Wool Bundle)
- Black Wool (British Wool Bundle No. 3)
- Needle Felting Foam
- 38-Guage Felting Needle
- Dark Green Felt
How to make the avocados
1. Sketch an avocado outline onto paper (the ones featured are 6.5cm high by 4cm at the widest point). Cut out your sketch and use it as a template to cut an avocado base from green felt.
2. Place the shape onto a foam pad. Tease off a small piece of bright green wool and fold one side to form a wad.
3. Place the edge of the folded wool around the edge of the green felt base, about 5mm in, and lightly stab with a 38-guage felting needle to secure into position. If you hear the crunching of the foam pad, you’re stabbing too hard. Carefully fold in any loose fibres with your finger and stab into place.
4. Work your way around all the edges then stab across the middle until you have an even covering.
5. To make the avocado stone, tease off a length of olive-green wool around 2.5 times the length of your avocado (if you are making more than one avocado, tease off 2 lengths the same to keep the stone sizes even).
6. Fold the wool into a wad then gently stab around the edges and the top to form an oval shape.
7. Place onto the lower half of the avocado base and gently stab into position.
8. Add eyes and a smiley mouth using the steps shown on our needle felted sprout tutorial.
Use these super sweet avocados to decorate handmade cards, fabric bags, keyrings, wall art and more!
If you’ve enjoyed this project, why not take a peek at our wildlife inspired needle felting kits.
Founder & Creative Director, Hawthorn Handmade