Recycled floral embroidery hoop
Recycle your Hawthorn Handmade packaging and use it to create beautiful embroidery hoop frames in which you can to display your stitched art!
Time: Around an hour
- Rose Garden Embroidery Kit
- 10-inch Embroidery Hoop
- Pink tissue paper – 1 sheet
- Dye-ink pads – Light and dark green
- Double sided sticky tape
- Hot glue gun
- Optional: Leaf die and die-cutter machine
Stitch your embroidery following the step-by step instructions in the Rose Garden Kit.
Make the roses
1. Cut three 5cm x 25cm strips from sheet of pink tissue paper. Scrunch them up then flatten them out. Fold in half longways and add double sided sticky tape along the folded edge of each.
2. Stick them one of top of the other then begin to roll the tissue along the remaining strip of sticky tape, tightly to start with then more loosely to create a rose shape. Cut the end into a curve to look like a petal.
3. Make three roses this size, then make a further two but this time using only two strips of tissue to make smaller flowers.
4. Cut four 0.5cm wide strips from the embroidery kit box and use light green die ink to add colour on each side. Roll each strip firmly around a pencil to create a spiral.
5. Use scissors or a metal die and die-cutting matching to cut five leaves from the remaining box. Apply colour to the white side using light and dark green dye-ink pads.
6. Use a hot glue gun to secure all the elements onto a 10-inch embroidery hoop, clustering the larger roses, three leaves and two spirals to the lower right and the remaining smaller roses, leaves and spirals to the top left.
7. Suspend your embroidery hoop into the middle of the decorated frame using ribbon and hang on your wall.
Happy stitching and recycling!
Founder & Creative Director, Hawthorn Handmade